Hurkey durkey, Turkey! We know you’re all thankful for hockey, and this week’s Foxy Friday is just a reminder of all the things in the world there are to celebrate.
Dawn & Chuck are out shopping and Intern Jeff Skinner is making sweet potatoes with marshmallows (you should see his apron), so I’m going to kick things off with my 5 (or so) favorite hockey players:
1. Sidney Crosby - Come on back, buddy. Bring your mustache, we don’t care. We’re thankful for Sid’s career 215 goals/572 points, half a Rocket Richard trophy and one giant, shiny Stanley Cup. He also gets my undying devotion and willingness to endure being booed in every arena that’s not Pittsburgh. A year without him on the ice is far too long.
2. Mike Green - If you have to ask why, you must be new around here. Please refer to posts about hedgehogs, scooters, scarves and tattoos. My condition has not been helped by a move to the DC-area. Fidget has a career 82 goals/250 points, 2 Norris Trophy nominations, 2 national Geico commercials and a day of the week dedicated just to him. It’s the smile.
3. Jonathan Toews – Captain Derpface is the shit. Get on board, people. Tazer not only plays the best straight-man to Kaner’s antics, but he’s been the heart and soul of his team since he was 21. His goal with about 1:24 left in the playoff game 7 vs. Vancoucer last season to take the Hawks to overtime and possibly advance toward a Cup repeat was one of my all-time favorite NHL goals. He just willed it into the net. I cried. Yes, I’m crazy. Thanks for 124 goals/284 points, a Stanley Cup and my vote for MVP last season. We award you squats, feel free to do them any time.
4. Steven Stamkos – Hockey paradise, they call Tampa Bay. We might agree. Stammer has 130 goals/251 points in just 3.25 seasons – you’d smile all the time too. For all the hype, Stamkos was a slower rookie starter than Toews, Kane or Crosby, which maybe makes me love him more. He struggled. The Lightning struggled. And then last season they steamrolled the Pens & Caps, only to lose a heartbreaker game 7 to the Bruins. Make that a face-breaker. For this (and for Gator), Stamkos forever.
5. Wild Card – This place has belonged to a lot of deserving players. Nicklas Backstrom for keeping his head down and working so hard while everyone around him preens for the camera. James Neal for fighting through overly high expectations and finally busting out. Jordan Staal for playing with that severed foot tendon, for being so desperate to play on 24/7. Fleury for standing in that net every night even when he sucked. St. Louis for seeming 10 feet tall.
Honorable Mention . Jeff Skinner – For all his hard work around here.
Okay, let’s hear it. Who are you Top 5 and why? Try not to write a novel. Or cry. I totally teared up over Toews & Stamkos – fangirl moment.
Tags: james neal, jonathan toews, jordan staal, marc-andre fleury, Martin St. Louis, mike green, nicklas backstrom, Sidney Crosby, steven stamkos