For this week’s edition of Foxy Friday, I decided to jump in the WUYS TARDIS and go back in time to honor one of the foxiest (and talented) NHLers of all time…
The former Detroit Red Wing and current GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning is a legend.
Plain and simple.
And if anyone tries to disagree with us, I will take off my giant bamboo earrings. Pants will kick off her heels.
The reasons why Yzerman is deserving of this honor are endless. The smile and the sexy crow’s-feet are enough to do us in. But there is just more to this man than that…
- He played his ENTIRE 23 year career with the Detroit Red Wings.
(Pretty sure that guy in the locker next to him is naked…)
- He was named captain of the Red Wings in 1986 at the age of 21 and wore the “C” for over 1,300 games. He is the longest-serving captain of any team in North American major league sports history. Now if that doesn’t say something about how people feel about this man, then I don’t know what does.
- 3 Stanley Cups.
- Winner of the Pearson Award, Conn Smythe, the Selke, Lester Patrick, and the Masterson Trophy.
- 10-time NHL All-Star.
- His #19 jersey was retired in 2007. As an additional honor the captain’s “C” was added to the corner of his banner to forever commemorate him as “The Captain”.
- 6th in NHL history in points, 8th in goals, and 7th in assists.
- 1, 514 games played. 692 goals. 1,063 assists. 1, 755 points. 924 minutes of shame.
- He was inducted into the NHL Hall of Fame in 2009, in his 1st year of eligibility. Also inducted into the Ottawa Sports Hall of Fame, Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame and Michigan Sports Hall of Fame.
In 2004, Yzerman was hit in the eye by a deflected slapshot. His orbital bone was broken and his cornea was scratched.
My father broke his orbital bone once. It was pretty gnarly. But not nearly as gnarly as Yzerman’s injury.
I can’t post the photo here for fear of grossing everyone but you can easily find it on the interwebs. Beware – it is TERRIFYING. And strangely sexy.
After his NHL career ended, Yzerman joined the front office for the Red Wings and is now the GM for the Tampa Bay Lightning. He was instrumental in TB’s continued improvement and for re-signing Steve Stamkos.
We also like to think of him as Stamkos’ sage mentor.
We picture them standing in at center ice in a darkened arena, contemplating life, career, and the future of the Lightning.
It’s all very Mr. Miaygi/Daniel-san.
I think you get the point.
Steve Yzerman is awesome. Awesome and FOXY to the max.
P.S. I just had to post this photo. Because it makes me laugh.